Thursday, November 12, 2009

The French Horn

In my escapades of listening to music from various genres of that lifeblood we like to call music, I have noticed that in the pieces that make the hair on the back of my neck stand up, there is the presence of the instrument they call the French Horn.

The french horn is a difficult instrument to play, With many notes available at the players disposal just by altering his embouchure.

Whether it's a screaming ascending glissando, or a smooth yet powerful sustained note to form the foundation for the other instruments, this certainly is one of my favourite instruments.

That, and the Cello.

This is one of my favourite poems describing the tone of a cello..

Dulcet tones
Drip like honey,
Oozing slurred harmony
As the tails of horses
(resin-smooth)
Draw across silver
Of trembling cords.


No comments:

Post a Comment